PDS Operations During Coronavirus
To respond to the coronavirus pandemic, the Public Defender Service has decided on certain measures for PDS staff and operations. We take these measures with the goal of protecting clients, staff, visitors, and others with whom we interact. The situation is fluid, so some of these steps may be modified as the coronavirus crisis continues and as criminal justice agencies adjust the status of their operations. YOU SHOULD CHECK THOSE AGENCIES’s WEBSITES FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION.
PDS’s operating status:
- PDS's main switchboard operates from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Mondays through Fridays with NO walk-in service. We are severely limiting the number of employees and visitors who come on site. Most employees are teleworking.
- We continue to represent current and new clients. However, the representation is influenced by the operating status of other criminal justice agencies—e.g., the D.C. Superior Court, the D.C. Jail, U.S. Parole Commission, Federal Bureau of Prisons, etc.
- PDS is accepting Duty Day inquiries by telephone only (202) 628-1200.
- We are providing virtual external and internal training programs.
- Only those hiring steps that can be done without in-person contact with applicants are going forward.
- PDS financial operations—procurement, bill payment, etc.—are proceeding as normal.
- PDS has arranged for regular “deep cleaning” of our 633 Indiana Avenue, N.W.; 601 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.; and 1442 Pennsylvania Avenue, S.E. offices.